Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Toure Yaya

I've been playing soccer for about 6 years now, and it seems that I'm useful as a defensive midfielder more so than the other positions. I like players like Toure Yaya, Makelele, Edmilson, Rafa Marquez, and Michael Essien who can distribute the ball and has solid defensive abilities.

I think the reason why I'm interested in playing this position is that they have the ability to select the overall attacking option as a team and to fill the 'vital' spaces that pop up on the field during defense. I think these decisions require the player to have an accurate grasp of how the team is positioned against the other team along with knowing the options and abilities of your teammates in each situation. The important effect of the players with this 'distribution role' is that the speed of attack as a team is depended on how fast the player plays the ball.

I probably seem to be a good candidate for these things because I can settle the ball and distribute to other players on the field. Maybe it's just that a lot of people want to always move the ball forward, but I sometimes choose to play the ball anywhere to keep possession of the ball. I think it's important to move the ball up the field as fast as it's necessary, but I often see the team trying to play the ball faster than they're capable of which leads to losing grasp of the game.

I'm starting to get the hang of moving into spaces to receive the ball. It makes things a lot easier because it buys me a lot more options to select the next play from.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home