Monday, April 10, 2006

Endless Loop


Got a call about a contract drafter position in Portland. $21 an hour. Asked for a detailed job description and this is what they sent me.

I know the job description is short, but it's all I have. I will try to get
a more detailed one. -Someone who can take models and turn them into drawings. -Strong Inventor experience.

...What the fuck am I supposed to get out of this shit?
Am I supposed to apply for a job 2000miles away without knowing what the fuck it's about? I won't apply for the job unless the fucker sends me a better job description.

I'm signed up for the soccer league.
I wanna stay with the glider club.
I'm just about getting better at thermalling.
I like the place that I live.
So... It's gotta be something that's more important than all that for me to take a job in another place.

Went up in the 1-26 Saturday.
Stayed up for 39 minutes.
Wind from North.
Lots of thermals to the northwest of the airfield.
1-26 has gots to be my favorite airplane to fly.
Forgiving and very nimble.

On this flight, I noticed one thing that I hadn't noticed before. I didn't look at the instruments except to occasionally check the speed and altitude. I just flew with the 'feel.'
I can tell when it's about to stall. I'm usually coordinated without knowing. I think this might bite me back if I rely on my 'feel' too much. But I think it's somewhat necessary to have the 'feel' for the aircraft to fly it well. There's also no guarantee that the instruments will work all the time neither. I'm gonna ask Jim about this the next time I see him.

On the landing, I didn't check the ground activity before entering the pattern and caused a slight conflict with the departing towplane&glider. I had to adjust the pattern last minute and came in quite high. I slipped with full spoiler like a champ and made it back in one piece. But I should've seen the towplane and glider ready to go before I called downwind on the radio.

By the way, I usually land really well on the 1-26. I just glide on the ground with the tire barely touching the ground. Probably because I made the fatal mistake on the first flight. As an afterthought, I came in too fast. It's a mistake that many people make when flying a glider for the first time. I made the same mistake on the PW-5, but I'm grateful that I didn't break anything (badly), and I've learned my lesson.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home